Evelyn's Funerals

Government help and information

The following information is from the DIRECT.GOV website and applies to deaths occurring in England.

(different guidelines apply for Scotland and Wales and abroad)

Click the links for details:

What to do after someone dies – GOV.UK


Benefits and allowances

You may be entitled to a bereavement allowance.

You may be able to claim Bereavement Allowance if you are a widow, widower or surviving civil partner aged 45 (or over) until you reach State Pension age.

It is paid to you for up to 52 weeks from the date of death of your husband, wife or civil partner.

You may be able to claim a bereavement payment.

If your husband, wife or civil partner has died you may be able to get Bereavement Payment if your spouse or civil partner paid National Insurance Contributions (NICs). It’s a one-off, tax-free, lump-sum payment of £2,000.  Contact the Bereavement Service on  0845 608 8601 for more information.

There is some financial help towards the cost of a funeral available to certain people who are receiving benefits – more information about a funeral payment is available at the Department of Works and Pensions.




Registered in England Nr 851781