Detailed information about the next steps is available on the government’s website here.
Here are contact details of the local Register Offices.
It’s essential to ring the Register Office first to book an appointment.
Tel: 01344 352000
Camberley Register Office
Surrey Heath House (upstairs at the museum)
Surrey GU15 3HD
Tel: 0300 200 1002
Reading Register Office
RG1 7TA (Use RG1 6AF for SATNAV)
Tel: 0118 901 5124
Tel 0118 974 6554
Bracknell Forest also offers this useful information regarding registering the death:
Who can register a death?
One of the following people may register a death (in order of preference):
- a relative of the deceased
- a person present at the death
- the occupier of the house or residential home where the death occurred (if there is no known relative who is able to register)
- the person who is arranging the funeral
What do I need?
You will need to provide the following:
- medical certificate of cause of death from the doctor, if a coroner is not involved
- date and place of death
- full name of the deceased (and maiden surname if appropriate)
- date and place of birth of the deceased (a birth certificate would be helpful)
- deceased’s occupation, and the full name and occupation of their spouse (a marriage certificate would be helpful)
- deceased’s usual home address
- whether the deceased was in receipt of a pension from public funds
- date of birth of the deceased’s spouse, if alive
- NHS medical card number for the deceased (however, please do not delay registration if this is not available)
The registrar will ask you some questions to obtain the above information, and will print out a copy of the entry for you to check. Once the page is signed the registrar will issue the necessary paperwork.
What happens next?
You will receive:
- a green form (Form 9), which is to be given to the funeral director
- a white form (Form 344) which should be sent or taken to the DSS together with any state pension or benefit books, which will stop any payments
- certified copies of the register entry £4.00 each, or £7.00 each after the registration (the fee increases to £10.00 once the register becomes full and is archived)
- booklets and information leaflets where appropriate